With the rainy season approaching, we are currently exploring mold in your home and how to successfully treat it.

Mushrooms are a welcome addition to many main courses, but did you know mushrooms can be classified as mold?

We think of mold or fungus as something we don’t want to consume but humans all over the world consume various forms of mold daily. The most common form of edible mold is the mushroom.

A mushroom is a fungus. A fungus is a type of mold. So, while all mushrooms are derived from mold, all mold cannot be considered mushrooms. A fungus is the fruit body of mold.

Fungi, and by extension, mushrooms, belong to a group of mold known as saprophytes. Saprophytes live on decaying wood or plant matter, breaking their host down until only minerals and carbon dioxide remains. One purpose of saprophytes is the conversion of decomposing organic matter into inorganic substances.

Fungi form a vampiric relationship with the organic matter on which they grow, drawing on it for energy from which to extract nutrients. The mold then provides nutrients from which other plants can grow, creating a cycle of life.

Unlike mushrooms, mold in your home is an indication of damp, humid and wet conditions, and should be addressed immediately.

Call Banabatau Projects today for assistance with mold identification, preventative measures and treatment options.

*Look out for more posts on mold in your home and how to successfully treat it*